I stumbled upon (pun intended) a blog post, “52 cool facts and stats about social media (2012 edition)” by Danny Brown on PR Daily’s website and couldn’t help but share it with everyone. And by everyone I mean my Twitter followers, my Facebook friends, and now, our blog post. Leave it to us PR individuals to use every social media tool to talk about social media.
Some of the “52 cool facts and stats about social media” I found extremely interesting were:
1. On Facebook, links about sex are shared 90 percent more than any other link.
2. More than 350 million users suffer from Facebook Addiction Syndrome.
3. If Twitter was a country, it’d be the 12th largest in the world.
4. Two new members sign up to LinkedIn every second.
5. YouTube originally started life as a dating site and was influenced by the Hot Or Not website.
6. Pinterest drives more referral traffic than YouTube, Google+ and LinkedIn combined.
7. 97 percent of the fans of Pinterest’s Facebook page are women.
8. President Obama is on Instagram, having joined in January 2012.
9. On Instagram, earlybird is the most popular filter, with 12.5 percent users preferring it (zero filters is the most popular way to use Instagram, with more than 47 percent of users going au naturel).
10. One in five couples meet online; three in five gay couples meet online.
And last but not least, professional bloggers maintain an average of four blogs. Good grief, maintaining one blog along with all the other social media platforms can be exhausting! Hats off to you, professional bloggers.
To read more about the “52 cool facts and stats about social media,” visit http://prdaily.com/Main/Articles/11846.aspx.
And don’t forget to keep up with the Profiles ladies on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/ProfilesBmore, on Twitter @ProfilesBmore and LinkedIn at http://www.linkedin.com/company/943658?trk=tyah. Whatever is in store for social media next, we’ll be sure to share, like and tweet about it!